is a vibrant, eco-friendly, the one of a kind city that lives life to the fullest. The city’s population is quite young. Austin is generally popular for its music and art scenes. Did you know that Austin is the Live Music Capital
of the World. Read on a few fast facts about Austin, Texas!
Image by davidcmc58 via https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/20674461
Austin Demographic and Geographical Fast Facts
- Austin is the 11th most populous city in the US and the 4th most populous city in Texas and Southern America.
- Austin is the second largest state capital in the US.
- Austin has an average of 300 days of sunshine annually.
- Austin is a home to world’s largest urban bat populace.
- The city is the economic and cultural center of the Austin–Round Rock metropolitan area.
- The Ethnic composition of Austin includes White, 68.3%; Hispanic or Latino: 35.1%; Asian: 6.3%; African American: 8.1%; American Indian: 0.9%; Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.1%; Two or More Races: 3.4%
- Mount Bonnell, 785 feet above sea level, is Austin’s highest point of elevation.
- Austin is considered as one of the safest cities in the USA.
Austin History Fast Facts
- Human habitation of the Austin city dated back to 9200 B.C.
- The nomadic Native American tribes - the Lipan Apaches, the Tonkawa tribe, and the Comanches were the early inhabitants of the city prior to the settlers from the United States.
- The earliest known inhabitants of the area lived in the time of the Ice Age (late Pleistocene).
- In 1888, the Texas state capitol building was completed and declared as the seventh largest building in the world.
- Austin was named after Stephen F. Austin, the founder of the Texas Republic.
- In 1870, Austin turned into the permanent capital of the Texas.
- In 1870s, the railroads began in Austin.
Austin Government and Economy Fast Facts
- As per the Austin Business Journal, about 20 million tourists come to Austin every year.
- Austin is considered to be a main center for high tech.
- Austin is up-and-coming as a hub for biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies.
- Austin is managed and regulated by an eleven-member city council.
- The cost of living in Austin, Texas is lower than many other major cities.
Austin Interesting and Important Fast Facts
- Austin is labelled as the "Live Music Capital of the World".
- The Austin, Texas state capitol building is the largest state capitol building in the United States.
- Austin is home to the University of Texas, one of the top universities in the United States.
- The city’s unofficial slogan is "Keep Austin Weird."
- Austin is home to the seventh largest non-racing stadium in the world- The Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.
- The daily newspaper of Austin is the Austin American-Statesman. The Austin Chronicle is a free alternative weekly newspaper.
- Austin, Texas is known as a "clean-air city" for the city's strict no-smoking law that is applicable to all public spots.
- Austin hosts two of the largest festivals in the country- South by Southwest and the Austin City Limits.
- Austin is considered as one of the fittest cities in America.
Just a day in hand? Here is a 24 hours to explore Austin!